Halloween House Point Challenge!
Deadline: Monday, November 5, 2012 by 08:00
For those who would like a House point challenge worth 1oo points, can you find the answers to the questions below regarding the world's largest pumpkin? Please write your answers on this week's blog post.
Thank you, Elliott, for providing the questions for this House point challenge!
1. What is the weight of the world's largest pumpkin as of October 2012?
2. In which state was the world's biggest pumpkin grown in the United States?
3. Who is the owner of the world's biggest pumpkin?
4. Find a picture of the pumpkin and the owner online and post the weblink on the blog post.
Çatalhöyük Video on Blue Peter
Deadline: Monday, October 22, 2012 by 08:00
Blue Peter is the world's longest-running children's TV show and was first broadcast on the BBC in 1958.
In 2009, presenters Andy Akinwolere, Helen Skelton and Joel Defries took a trip from Europe to Asia in the annual Blue Peter Summer Expedition. Their main destination wass Turkey and one of the world's largest and best-preserved Stone Age sites, Çatalhöyük.
Watch the short video below, starting at 1:25 for Çatalhöyük, and answer the following questions on the blog:
1. How many archaelogists have been digging in Çatalhöyük to find out what life was like in the ancient city?
2. According to the program Blue Peter, what is "gold dust" to archaelogists and why?
3. What is the name of the time period of the late Stone Age, from 8,000-9,000 years ago?
4. What is the black volcanic rock called which is found all over Çatalhöyük?
5. What did the people of Çatalhöyük do with their dead relatives?
Blue Peter Summer Expedition: Turkey (2009)
Deadline: Monday, October 1, 2012 by 08:00
Answer the following questions to each of the pictures posted below. Post your answers on the blog. The first cave photo has been done for you.
- 1. What is the name of the famous prehistoric cave? (Hint: Use Google Goggles or a quick Google search describing the photo to find cave names.)
- 2. In what country is the cave located? (Hint: Zoom out on the Google Map to see the country)
- 3. What story or stories do you think the painting is telling?
EXAMPLE: Prehistoric Cave
1. This is the Cueva de las Manos.
2. The cave is located in Argentina.
3. I think the hands represent a ritual, where teenage boys paint their hands on the cave wall before a big hunt.
Prehistoric Cave #1
Prehistoric Cave #2
Prehistoric Cave #3
Prehistoric Cave #4
Prehistoric Cave #5