Sunni vs. Shi'a
Deadline: Monday, October 15, 2012 by 08:00
1. What part of the world is this map located?
2. Which country has the highest population of Sunni Muslims? of Shi'a Muslims?
3. Which country has the closest percentage of Sunni and Shi'a Muslims living there?
2. Political cartoon #1: Who are the two groups of people praying in the picture and why are they facing in different directions?
3. Political cartoon #1: Why do you think there is is a big divide between the two groups praying?
4. Political cartoon #2: What does the expression mean, "To fight like cats and dogs"? How does this expression connect to the cartoon?
5. Political cartoon #2: Who is the man in the cartoon and which country does he represent? (Hint: Look at the flag on his jacket)
6. Political cartoon #2: Why is the man trying to keep the Sunnis and the Shi'a Muslims from fighting each other?
7. Political cartoon #2: Which country in the Middle East could be depicted in the cartoon that has conflict among Sunnis, Shi'a and a well-known superpower? (Hint: The Middle Eastern country has a 32-37% population of Sunni Muslims and a 60-65% of Shi'a Muslims)